Blackjack – a favourite casino game
Millions of people from around the world have blackjack as their favorite casino game. Majority of the people play because they believe that out of all the casino games, Blackjack is one that is easy to beat. In the 1900s, a system of counting cards was developed and since then many players have learnt the tips and tricks to beat the dealer. But, playing conditions have changed and nowadays some tables make use of more than one deck of card at a time or shuffle the cards more frequently so it is difficult for players to count the cards.
For those who don’t have the patience or skills to count the cards, there are still chances of winning by learning strategies that can help increase the odds of winning. But for now, here’s a look at the blackjack rules and how to play blackjack.
Blackjack is basically a two player game, but it is possible for more players to play in a game of blackjack. Players don’t compete against each other, but with the dealer. The objective of the game is to collect more points than the dealer. However, the points must not be over 21 or the player goes bust and loses the game. The total value of the cards must be 21 or under 21 in order to win. The score is calculated by adding the values of all the cards in hand.
Blackjack card values
Face cards which comprise of Kings, Queens and Jacks are worth 10 points. Aces have two values depending on what is most suitable for a winning combination. This can be 1 or 11. Other cards from the deck have values equal to their number on the cards. No one wins the game if there is a tie between the player and the dealer. Players getting Ace and 10 on the first two cards win at 1.5 to 1. Players can stand at any time.
Blackjack rules are pretty simple. When the game is started, the player and the dealer get two cards each. Cards are dealt face up to the players and the dealer receives one card that is facing down and one that is facing up. The best blackjack hand is when the player gets an Ace and a Jack of Spade as the first two cards. This is known as a “blackjack”. Player with a blackjack automatically wins the round. If both the sides have a blackjack, then it is known as a push and no one wins.
Under the main blackjack rules, there are also some side rules which the player can take advantage of. When players have the turn to act following a deal, they can choose whether to use the side rules or not and they can use it only once. Players can keep their hand or take additional cards from the deck one at a time until they believe they can beat the dealer or until they go bust. After players have decided to stand or are busted, the hidden card that the dealer has is revealed.
- If the dealer has a total of 21 with two cards, players lose the game until the players also have a blackjack.
- If the dealer has less than 21, he can stand or take more cards depending on the value of the cards. According to blackjack rules, dealers must hit if the accumulated value is under 17. However, different casinos have different blackjack rules on whether the dealer must hit or stand if the hand of 17 has an Ace.
- If the dealer has a total of more than 21, the dealer goes bust and the player or players win. Blackjack rules state that if a player gets a blackjack, the winning amount includes the blackjack win and a bonus amount.
Summary of Playing Blackjack
- The main aim of Blackjack game is to win against the dealer but without getting bust. When your cards total to more than 21 then you bust or lose. Whoever has closest to a total of 21 is the winner in blackjack.
- Card values are added up to reach 21. Face cards (Jacks, Queens and Kings) are worth ten points each, the other cards count as their face (numerical) values, and Aces are worth one or 11, depending on your preference.
- When a player makes a total of 21 with just the first two cards (a 10 or a face and an Ace), then that player wins automatically. This is called a ‘Blackjack’. Here you can play free online blackjack because real money is not involved.
All you have to do is register and play with free fake money.